A tranquil and welcoming community, SOMO (South Mobile) is rich in wildlife, Southern culture, excitement and so much more. Adventure comes naturally here! You can find everything from the sugar white sand beaches of Dauphin Island and the beauty of Bellingrath Gardens and Fowl River, to the charming atmosphere and unrivaled seafood of Bayou La Batre and Coden. Hop on your bikes and explore all that there is to do or spend your days unwinding with the family in our family friendly environment. Home to some of the few dog friendly beaches left in the country, SOMO is packed full of unique pedestrian walkways, bike trails, the Audubon Bird Sanctuary and some of the finest sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico.
Daytrips Of South Mobile
Day 1 – Garden Stroll, Sea Lab Experience & Historic Battle of Mobile:
- Arrive at Bellingrath Gardens & Home in the morning.
- Spend the first half of the day perusing 65 acres of plush foliage and a historic estate home filled with priceless antiques.
- That afternoon cross the beautiful bridge to Dauphin Island. Spend a few hours learning about the waterways of the Gulf Coast through aquariums, touch tanks and more at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab’s Estuarium.
- Cross the street and step back in time as you enter Historic Fort Gaines. Observe where the Battle of Mobile was fought, watch a blacksmith in action and see how the soldiers lived.
- Finish your day off with some fresh Gulf Coast seafood from one of our many restaurants in the region.
Day 2 – Deep Sea Fishing, Audubon Bird Sanctuary and Afternoon Swim:
- Climb aboard a magnificent fishing boat and head out into blue, bountiful waters.
- Once you’ve caught your fill, relax and enjoy a leisurely stroll through the Audubon Bird Sanctuary.
- Keep your eyes peeled for rare species of migrating birds, beautiful butterflies and even alligators.
- Hit the beach for some fun in the sun! Take a dip, build a sandcastle or get lost in your favorite book.
- Enjoy a sunset like none you’ve seen before, then head back to your condo and cook up the day’s fresh catch.
Day 3 – Bayou La Batre’s Legendary Seafood, Rich Culture, a Fast Race & a Little Greyhound Luck :
- Travel to Bayou La Batre and take a scenic drive thru the seafood capital of the South.
- Watch the shrimp boats roll in; enjoy the trees lined with Spanish moss, historic homes and more sights along the way.
- Stop in town for a lunch of authentic Thai cuisine and then head on up past Irvington into Theodore.
- Hit the stands and watch race car drivers’ burn up the asphalt at the International Speedway.
- Now that you are adrenaline is pumping, head to the Greyhound Park Dog Track, where you can test your
luck and end your final day in SOMO with a big win!